Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

stenciled decorative boxes

In just over 3 weeks, I will be moving into a new apartment -- one that I can reinvent and decorate completely differently. That is my favorite feeling!

I've been jotting down ideas and studying a few pictures of the space to try to imagine what I want. I am rooting for a tiny craft corner that I can decorate with bold colors and can spotlight all my travels. It all started with a lamp base. And then a lamp shade. Which sparked colors and a tiny project.


I wanted to create some decorative boxes that could display things I've picked up on my travels. I can imagine them on the wall or stacked up on top of one another, like above.

I found plain wooden boxes in the Dollar Spot section of Target for $3 a piece. I bought them and proceeded to let them sit for awhile until my idea sparked. I wanted to use a beautiful, medium earthy green with bursts of teal.



I painted the base of the boxes green. I decided I wanted to do something different, and decided to give stenciling a try, which I haven't really done before. Now that I have, I'm trying to figure out what else I can stencil. :) 


The process of stenciling is really easy. I used a bit of double sided tape to gently adhere the stencil to the dried box. I decided to stencil the sides of 2 of the boxes and then created a full stencil on the back of one of them. 


Using an appropriate flat brush, I dabbed the brush into the paint. I used a blank piece of paper to get any excess off, as I didn't want gloopy or uneven paint coverage. And then, I "patted." I did a pounce technique and gently filled the color in. 


After putting the teal in place, I went over certain sections with a bit of golf paint, which enhanced and slightly darkened the color. 


Gorgeous!


I love the way these turned out, and I must admit, I'm pretty proud that I didn't make any huge mistakes or messes using the stencil. Stencil and Ashley for the win!

Now only to decide how to use them...

Eiffel Tower from Paris while I studied abroad. 


No comments:

Post a Comment