Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

{pioneer woman's} fruit salad with an orange vanilla simple syrup

I love a good fruit salad. I don't mind the work that goes into peeling or washing or chopping. It's so worth it.  When you are hungry and you just don't know what you want, a little bowl of cool, crisp fruit salad is the perfect choice.

I saw Ree (Pioneer Woman) make this orange vanilla simple syrup for a fruit salad and I knew I had to make it too. 


It is simple (as the name suggests) and is so pretty. 


My fruit salad consisted of pear, mango, orange, and green grapes. You could use anything and this syrup would still do a good job of highlighting whatever combination you choose.

Here's the simple syrup recipe:

Orange Vanilla Simple Syrup

What You Need
1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1 orange, the zest and the juice
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

Directions

Add the sugar and water to a saucepan over medium-high heat. Then add the zest and juice from one orange along with the vanilla. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. 

After 15 minutes of simmering, transfer to a container and place in the fridge to cool, as you want it cool when pouring it over your fruit salad.

*****

I chose to keep the syrup and fruit salad separate, which I loved. You could just add a bit to your bowl anytime you grabbed some. 

I found the mixture to be flavorful and a little sweet. So in my opinion, a little goes a long way. 

Poor a spoonful over your next bowl and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment