Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

homeslice: a chicago restaurant review

I love city living. Always a new place to explore or a new restaurant to experience.

When I read about Homeslice, a pizza place in Lincoln Park, getting ready to open, I knew I wanted to go opening weekend. That's one thing I wanted to check off my list -- visit a restaurant during opening weekend. 

All the talk about Homeslice was valid. The restaurant itself had such a good vibe and had a refreshing take on pizza. 


Jacob and I showed up on the Friday early in the evening. We had about a 30-40 minute wait. While we waited, we do what you should do - grab a drink at the bar. We slid up next to an amazing bar top and just people watched. The space itself is really gorgeous. You can tell all the love that went into making the space special.

All the exposed lumber is breathtaking. It felt so natural and welcoming.

Homeslice wins just for the bar glasses alone.

After a fairly short wait, we got seated at a table for two and began to make our way through the menu. 


We chose oven roasted garlic bread as an appetizer and the Special K pizza. 

Skip the appetizer, unless it's changed since we visited. The dip was amazing and I loved it, but I didn't think what we got fit the menu description. I would've eliminated the greens--I'm not sure why they were there to begin with. I would've loved more tomatoes, as it would've been nice to have enough for every piece of bread. We had zero olive oil or balsamic vinegar on the plate, like the menu described it. I think the idea is there but the execution needed just a bit more. 


The pizza was oh my goodness good. The Special K had Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, red onions, mozzarella  provolone, parmesan, and a pesto-ricotta sauce. I loved not having a red sauce-based pizza. The ingredients were fresh, the crust was thin and perfect, and the combination of toppings was inventive. With over 30 other pizza concoctions, I don't think you would have a problem finding something that sounded appealing.  


A bathroom break revealed the bathroom decor that you couldn't help but smile at...


Homeslice gets a thumbs up. I would go back on a weekend with a group of friends for an evening of brews and pizza in a cozy atmosphere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment