Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

sizzling chicken and cheese

After I moved to Chicago about 9 months ago (crazy how time flies!), I haven't had as much fast food or chain restaurant food. Not that I don't eat out or anything, because I do, but there aren't as many chain fast food restaurants in the city. 

When I was grocery shopping over the weekend, I was trying to meal plan on the fly. During this quick thinking process, I had a craving for a meal I would occasionally get from TGIF's - sizzling chicken and cheese. If I can't get it at the restaurant, why not give it a go at home? 


This fulfilled the craving to no end. I am so thankful this idea popped into my head. (Jacob is too...)

Here's how this copycat recipe is done.

Sizzling Chicken and Cheese

What You Need
1 package of boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
1 green bell pepper, cut into fajita style strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into fajita style strips
1 small-medium yellow onion, cut into fajita style strips
fajita seasoning
oregano
salt
pepper
1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of shredded pepperjack cheese

First, cut your peppers and onion. You are going to box cut your pepper. Not familiar with the term? Neither was I. Jacob taught me the term and the proper way to cut a pepper to avoid a mess. See below. :)

Lay your pepper on its side on your cutting board. Cut off the very top portion and set aside.

Standing your pepper up on its bottom, cut off one side section and set aside.

Repeat with all sides of the pepper. You are cutting off all the good sections of the pepper.

Once you cut off all the sides, you are left with the core where the seeds and mess are. Throw it away and cut the pepper into strips.

Cut the remaining pepper and the onion and set aside. 

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.

Pan fry your chicken tenderloins over medium-high heat. Season with fajita seasoning (you could go the store-bought route, but might as well try homemade!).




Cook your chicken till the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. 

Once your chicken is cooked through, toss them into a baking dish and place them in your 375 degree F oven. This will keep them going while you use the same pan to cook your onions and peppers. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. 


Cook until caramelized. 


Once your onions and peppers are caramelized, pull out your baking dish from the oven and assemble. Toss your pepper and onion mixture on top of the chicken, and top the entire dish with shredded pepperjack cheese for a bit of extra heat. 


Pop back into the oven until the cheese has melted.


I'm not kidding, this was delicious. A bit of cheese, a huge portion of peppers and onions, and a whole lotta sizzle. Perfect way to fill that familiar craving.


No comments:

Post a Comment