Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

jalapeno cream cheese pinwheels

It's no secret my love of spice. I have concocted up some fajita seasoning to use in recipes for a little extra heat. I have whipped up some baked taquitos with a bit of a special sauce that had some oomph. I gave baked jalapeno poppers a try and loved them. They captured the heat of the jalapeno, the creaminess of the cream cheese, and a little bit of crunch.

I wanted to recreate that taste and made up a batch of these jalapeno cream cheese pinwheels.



These are the perfect for a lazy Sunday (like today) or are fun for an appetizer on game day. This recipe mimics a similar process as my pizza roll-ups recipe.

Here's the recipe:

Jalapeno Cream Cheese Pinwheels

What You Need
1 package of refrigerated pizza dough (Pilsbury)
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (I used a mixture of cheddar, mexican, and monterey)
2 jalapenos, diced
1 tablespoon of sugar

Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine in a bowl the cream cheese, shredded cheese mixutre, diced jalapenos (I used fresh and diced myself, but you could also used canned), and sugar. Mix until well blended. The best way I found was using my hands. As long as you're willing to get a little messy and are careful to not touch your face or eyes after touching the jalapenos, this is my recommended way to blend.




Unroll the pizza dough on a floured surface. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the dough. 



Roll the dough up lengthwise. Cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices and place on a greased baking sheet. This recipe made about 30 of these pinwheels. 



Place in the 350 degree F for 14-15 minutes, or until the dough turns golden brown. 



Serve up nice and hot. I thought they tasted fantastic alone - completely mimicking the taste of jalapeno poppers but with ease and not too much effort.

Perfect for a Sunday. 






1 comment: