Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

peppermint bark

I love to bake and make, especially during the holiday season, but with only two people and not really knowing anyone in the city to share with, that makes holiday kitchen fun hard! After all  I don't want to eat it all! After a few weeks of random holiday treats pouring into the office at work, I decided it was time to bring something in myself. 

Enter: peppermint bark. 


Quick, easy, and slightly addicting. I admit that I don't love white chocolate, but the mix with a layer of milk chocolate and the peppermint flavor and I have been hooked ever since. Since it's broken into small pieces it makes for a nice treat here and there when the craving hits. 

Here's the recipe:

Peppermint Bark

What You Need:
1/2 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag of white chocolate chips
1 teaspoon of real peppermint extract
candy canes, crushed (I used 5 regular sized ones)

Directions:

Create a double boiler in order to melt your chocolate. Grab one bigger pot and one slightly smaller pot. Fill the large pot with water and heat till the water is boiling. 

Once the water is boiling, add the semi-sweet chocolate chips to the smaller pot and place "inside" the big pot of boiling water. I rested the edge of the handle of my small pot along the edge and this system worked out well. Let the chocolate heat and melt. 


While the semi-sweet chocolate melts, grab a cookie sheet and line it with parchment paper. Stir the chocolate occasionally until smooth. As soon as it's fully melted. use a spatula and spread into an even layer on the parchment paper. Pop the cookie sheet into the fridge to allow the layer to harden. 

Repeat the double boiler system with the white chocolate chips.  


While the white chocolate melts, grab and unwrap your candy canes and place them in a ziploc bag. Pound and bang them to break them into small pieces and powder.


When the white chocolate is almost fully melted, add the peppermint extract and most of the peppermint pieces and powder. Stir quickly, as this tends to make the white chocolate a bit thicker to spread. 

Once combined, pull out the cookie sheet and spread the white chocolate layer on top of the semi-sweet chocolate layer. The heat of the white chocolate will cause the milk chocolate to rewarm, so spread carefully and gently. Sprinkle extra peppermint pieces on top and pop in the fridge for 45 minutes. 


Marvel and the beauty of it all.


And destroy that greatness! Lift up the sheet and start breaking away into smaller pieces. 


I popped my pieces in a tupperware for the house and a Christmas tin for work. Both were kept in the fridge overnight, but the Christmas tin has sat on the table in our office kitchen and hasn't become a melted mess, so I consider that a success!






3 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I may try this for my upcoming cookie exchange party. Visiting from the link party at Southern Lovely today!
    Jessica
    http://ahumblecreation.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really quite easy, and the mix of white and milk chocolate balance it all. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I love this recipe I run a gluten free blog and was wondering if you may want to do a guest post for me? Here is my url: www.rollingoutdough.com
    You can contact me through my email if interested. Thanks and happy Holidays! Nicole

    ReplyDelete