Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

homemade instant oatmeal packets

My morning routine is simply to get ready for work as soon as possible and as get out as quickly as possible. I am someone who sets everything out the night before and has my lunch ready to grab-and-go.

I've recently discovered how much I crave a warm breakfast but that I don't have the time to make a full blown meal.

Enter: homemade instant oatmeal packets. 


The truth is, I never really tried oatmeal till this past weekend. It was good, filling, and I knew I could make it work for my weekly breakfast. Making my own packets allowed me to control the cost and the ingredients in each packet.

Here's the recipe:

Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets (makes approximately 13 packets)

What You Need
5 cups of quick oats
1 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup non-dairy creamer
1/2 cup Splenda (12 packets)
1/2 cup brown sugar
cinnamon
dried cranberries
ziploc baggies


The easiest way to go about making all the packets is mixing a batch in a bowl and then dividing things out accordingly. Mix the oats, Splenda, brown sugar, salt, and non-dairy creamer. 


Once mixed, you can divide the oat mixture into individual baggies. My mixture made about 13 packets, so you can adjust accordingly to how much you'd like to make at once. I put 1/2 cup of the mixture into each bag. 

I also added a sprinkle of cinnamon and one tablespoon of dried cranberries to each bag. 

When you are ready to make a packet to eat, add approximately 3/4 cup of water (or enough water to cover the oat mixture) to your cup or bowl. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes and serve. 

This was perfect! You could vary the add-ins or drizzle a bit of maple syrup over the top for a bit of extra sweetness. A great way to wake up in the morning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment