Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

paint chip art

Doing something with paint chips was on my list for ages. I actually grabbed some and held onto them for four months. I loved the colors. I loved the idea (cheap art!). I just had no idea what to create. 

But then I did.


I got these fabulous plain wood frames from Michaels, and I decided they'd be perfect in our dining room. The colors worked well there too, but then I had to decide on a pattern. I decided to keep things simple, and go checkered with absolutely no pattern in sight. You can see little white spaces here and there, but I don't care. It was made with love!

First, I cut each paint strip into 1/2 inch strips, and then cut each of the strips into 1/2 inch cuts, resulting in 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch squares.


Organization!

Once all the chips were separated by color, I got to work. I measured out a background paper that I could adhere the chips to. I measured my frames to determine that background size. Once I had my paper, I got to gluing! I just used straight up Elmer's glue and adhered the chips one by one in no particular fashion. I like the no-pattern look.


Once the pages were filled of paint chips (I made two of these!), I focused on the frames. They came unfinished, but I knew I needed to do something to them. 


I went with a "staining" like look and technique. I used chocolate brown acrylic paint and dabbed a small piece of paper towel in the paint. I then rubbed the paint into the wood. This allowed the paint to not be excessive and to really be soaked into the wood, giving a stained look. 


Combine it all together, and voila! Instant art. 


I love the way they look next to my painting I got from Italy (thanks Heather!). They really make a wonderful addition and really pop. Who knew art could be so cheap (but look so good)?




1 comment: