Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

crab meat and cream cheese wontons

Is there anything better than a crab meat rangoon? 


Ordering Chinese takeout is a pasttime (or even a current time!) and crab meat rangoons are a necessity when ordering. There is something about that creamy mixture with a bit of crunch on the outside that gets me every time. 

Walking around Jewel (my new grocery store) led me to find wonton wrappers in the fresh fruits/veggies section. I instantly knew their would be success and was excited to use them! 

Utilizing wonton wrappers made the process easier, and it completely worth it. 

Here's the recipe:

Crab Meat and Cream Cheese Wontons

What You Need:
-1 package of imitation crab meat (12 oz.-16 oz. package)
-6 oz. of cream cheese, softened
-salt, to taste
-garlic powder, a shake of
-onion powder, a shake of
-garlic salt, a shake of
-wonton wrappers (my package had 48, and I used them all for this recipe)
-bowl of water, to use for sealing the wontons

Directions:

Prepare the crab. This step may have been unnecessary, but I cooked the crab up in a bit of butter, and added a couple shakes of garlic powder, onion powder, and garlic salt while it was cooking. I used a spatula to break up the crab to small enough pieces.  


After cooking the crab, combine the crab and the softened cream cheese. Add salt to taste. 



Now it's time to use those wonderful little wonton wrappers! I used a baking sheet to assemble, as it gave me much more room. I laid out a handful of wonton wrappers at a time, and kept a small bowl of water next to me, as well as a damp cloth in case the wrappers dried out too much. 


Using a small spoon, plop a small amount of the crab/cream cheese mixture into the center of each wrapper. 



After filling a few wontons at a time, it was time for the final steps. Dip your finger in your water bowl and moisten the edge of the wonton wrapper. 


After moistened, fold the wonton in half diagonally, making a triangle. Try to push any air out of the pocket, and make sure to seal the edges as best a possible. The water helps seal the wontons during this process. 


These wontons can be folded in a numerous ways. They could stay triangular, but I decided to fold the edges in. Using a bit more water on my finger, I put water on the corner before and after folding it in. 


Now repeat. 48 times. It felt like this process took awhile, but I watched a show on Netflix to pass the time. 

Once the wontons are made, you are set! I chose to freeze most of them, so I put the cookie sheets full of wontons in the freezer so they would harden. Once the wontons are hardened, put in a freezer-safe bag in the freezer. Pull out however many you'd like as you need them!


This wouldn't be a happily ever after story if I didn't make some right away. 

So I did.

I went with the baked option, for ease and health. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, and place wontons on sheet. Lightly spritz the tops of the wontons with cooking spray. Cook in the oven for 8-11 minutes. 


I checked on mine early on because my cookie sheet was darker, and I pulled them out at the perfect time. Crunchy, lightly browned, and perfectly hot. So tasty! I'm used to the fried version, but baked was delicious. 

If you choose to have them fried, heat a couple cups of oil in a deep pan. When the oil is nice and hot, carefully plop them in a few at a time. Fry them until they turn golden. 

Since creating these little delights, I have baked some from the freezer. After freezing, the same rules apply. 450 degree F oven, 8-11 minutes. 


So, so good. 


1 comment: