Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

baked jalapeno poppers

Oh yum. 


Jalapeno poppers are a coveted thing. Whenever I hit a sports pub/bar (that's where you seem to find these delicious treats), I must order them. Their is something about the heat of the jalapeno, the creaminess of the cheese, and the crunch of the crumbs. 

I've never made them myself, but let me just say...success! The exact combination of flavors I have missed. 


Here's the recipe:

Baked Jalapeno Poppers

What You Need (adapt recipe to however many poppers you want to make):
*makes 6 poppers*
3 whole jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise, seeded, with membranes discarded 
2 oz. low fat cream cheese
2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1/8 tsp. chili powder
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder 
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Begin with the peppers. Important note: handle with gloves! Cut each jalapeno in half lengthwise. Remove all seeds and membranes. 

Filling time! Combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, chili powder, paprika, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. 

Prepare for assembly: In a small bowl, beat egg and set aside. Pour panko crumbs in a separate bowl. Get ready for assembly time: grab a halved pepper, use spoon to fill pepper with cheese filling, dip pepper in egg, and dunk pepper in panko crumbs. Place each complete pepper on baking sheet that has been covered in cooking spray. Repeat process till all peppers have been filled. 

Bake poppers in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. You could eat these by themselves (I certainly did) or serve them with a dipping sauce, like sour cream. 

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Oh, Man! We love poppers, but, we usually make them when we grill. I am definitely going to try yours. I know.....I could make a meal of just poppers! And, to think I NEVER ate a fresh jalapeno!!! But, I LOVE the poppers!
    Have a great weekend!
    SherryBee in AZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I've never tried them grilled! That sounds like they could be delicious!

      And I could totally make a meal of poppers too. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you! I was actually just looking for a BAKED jalapeno popper recipe...I hate deep frying, and we have a boat load of peppers from our garden this year. We'll definitely be giving these a try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking the poppers was fairly simple and a great way to use up some of those peppers you have! Enjoy.

      Delete