Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

dulce de leche

Dulce de leche is a sweet caramel tasting sauce. 


I stumbled upon it because a recipe I wanted to try (sweet recipe coming soon!) involved either caramel sauce or dulce de leche.

I decided to go with some homemade dulce de leche. Homemade is always better. And dulce de leche sounded exotic. Who doesn't love that? 

Making dulce de leche is simple and much more cost effective than buying the product at the store. 

All you need is sweetened condensed milk, salt, tin foil, two oven-safe dishes (where one dish can sit inside the other), and water.


Sweetened condensed milk is the basis of dulce de leche. Dulce de leche is really the heating of sweetened condensed milk (a.k.a. sugar and milk), whereas caramel is the heating of sugar. 

Here's how its done:

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. 

Take the contents from the sweetened condensed milk can and empty it into an oven proof dish. Sprinkle the top with salt. Set the dish into a larger oven proof dish. 


Wrap the dish with the sweetened condensed milk in tin foil. Then create a water bath by filling the larger dish with water filling the dish about 3/4 of the way up, which will surround the sweetened condensed milk.

Pop into the 425 degree F oven for 1 hour. Check every 20 minutes and add more water if necessary.


The dulce de leche should be more brown in color and caramel-like in appearance when you pull it out of the oven. 

Whisk smooth and let cool before storing. The dulce de leche should stay good for 3 weeks in the fridge. Although mine was used well before the 3 week mark. 

You can warm the sauce up right in the microwave if you wish, although I used my cooled in a recipe. 


What do I wish? To use this sweet sauce over ice cream, cookies, and anything else that's asking for it. Seriously---it's some kind of decadent. Sweet, but not too sweet. Rich, but not too rich. 

I think I'm in love. 


The treat I used this dulce de leche in is a cool one--perfect for summer. That doesn't mean I won't be trying it on everything else in my kitchen too though!


No comments:

Post a Comment