Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

crockpot cream cheese chicken

Our oven hasn't worked well since we moved in to our apartment in Chicago. The oven would get warm, but not hot. This causes problems. I love to cook and bake! I have felt lost without it. 

So, while we have waited to get the oven fixed (it just got fixed last night at 9:15...that's a whole other story!) I have had to think of other cooking methods for good meals.

Enter crockpot cream cheese chicken:


Seriously, a god-send of a meal. I started searching online for crockpot meals involving chicken, and this is what I stumbled upon. I read all the tips and reviews, and that's how I formed my version of this meal. 

The awesome thing about this is that it takes hardly any watching. You do a couple separate steps, but it was well worth it!

Here's the recipe:

Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken 

What You Need:
Chicken (whatever you want: I used two huge boneless, skinless breasts that originally were frozen)
1 package of ranch dressing dry mix
4 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup of chicken broth
1 8oz. block of cream cheese
1 small can of mushrooms
onion (I used about 1/4 an onion diced up because that's all I had left)
black pepper
garlic powder
italian seasoning


Directions: 

Take whatever chicken you're using and toss it in the crockpot. I used frozen, thawed it in the microwave, and then stuck it in the crockpot whole. You can either leave the chicken whole, shred it, or cube it (we cubed it, but did this step after the chicken cooked). 


Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter over the chicken.


Then sprinkle the ranch dressing dry mix in. I flipped the chicken breasts over during this process to make sure both sides were good and coated. 


Turn the crockpot on low and let the chicken hang out till it's cooked all the way through. After 2 and half hours of cooking, my chicken was cooked through.




Once the chicken is cooked through, take it out and cut it into pieces if you haven't already. Leave all the liquid goodness in the crockpot. Put the cut up chicken back into the crockpot. Next up: sauce time.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add your onion and mushroom (the amount is too your liking) and saute. The original recipe used garlic cloves, but I didn't have any fresh, so I sprinkled in some garlic powder, black pepper, and italian seasonings. 

After the onion and mushrooms have been sauteed, add the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and cream cheese to the pot. I found it easiest to cube the cream cheese before adding it to the pot, as it mixed in better.  


Add the sauce mixture (which smells and looks absolutely heavenly) back into the crockpot and combine with the chicken. 


Continue to cook on low for an hour. (I cooked it on low for an hour before switching to warm, as we weren't quite ready to eat!)


Meal complete. It's not difficult. It takes a few steps for a crockpot meal, but it was so worth it! The chicken was perfectly tender and moist, and the sauce was so decadent. Creamy and flavorful and amazing. 


I served this up with a big helping of mashed potatoes, but rice or egg noodles would be lovely too. Trust me, you will want something to sop up that sauce!


2 comments:

  1. I actually don't eat meat, but I can't wait to show this to my mom, who was just telling me she needs some new recipes AND wants to use her crockpot more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never considered putting chicken in the crockpot before (I don't know why I never did!), but it really is so easy and simple! The flavor was great, and the sauce in this recipe is to die for! I hope your mom tries it out. :)

    ReplyDelete