Pages

Thursday, July 5, 2012

corn stock


I'm not sure where I stumbled upon the idea of making a corn stock, but I did. And with 4th of July festivities happening, corn has been abundant lately. I may or may not have bought corn in Michigan when visiting to see my sister graduate with her Master's because it was so cheap. :) 


I decided to make taco soup a couple nights ago and boiled all the cobs of corn I had. I cut all the corn off the cobs and used some in the soup and froze some. I was left with the empty cobs, which likely would've gone into the garbage before I remembered the idea of corn stock.


I love being able to use absolutely everything from a food to really get its full worth. Making corn stock was simple, free essentially, and will be perfect as a stock in corn chowders and other soups.

Here's the very simple how to:

Corn Stock

What You Need:
corn cobs
water

Directions:

Grab a pot large enough for however many corn cobs you have. Toss them in, and fill the pot with enough water to cover the cobs.



Turn the stovetop on high until you get the water boiling, then reduce to simmer and cover with a lid. Let the cobs simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

Remove the cobs and shake them of excess water. Let the corn stock cool slightly before packaging up.



From research it seems the stock will stay put well in the fridge for a week and in the freezer for a year.


I plan on freezing all mine most likely until the fall when soup season is really in full swing. I'm dreaming of corn chowder. It shall be divine.

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! I've made chicken stock and turkey stock, but never corn stock!

    I would love it if you would share this at my new Smart Solutions linky party. You can link up here:

    http://theprudentpantryblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/prudent-projects-smart-solutions-linky_13.html

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to share!

    It really is utilizing everything from the corn. I haven't used it yet, but can't wait to use it in soups---especially corn chowder!

    ReplyDelete