Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

taco soup

My Aunt Vicky introduced to me this filling, cheap soup years ago, and it's been a favorite ever since. I often make it towards the beginning of the week so I can eat it for lunches and have leftovers for the entire week.


It's flavorful and comforting. So simple.

Here's the recipe:

Taco Soup

What You Need:
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of northern beans
1 can of black beans
1 can of corn (I didn't have a can, so instead used a can to measure out frozen which worked fine)
1/2 a packet of taco seasoning
1/2 a packet of ranch seasoning


Directions:

So easy! You can make this in your crock pot and let the flavors meld together on low for awhile or you can make it stove top. I was painting my walls back to white (oh the joys of moving) today, so crock pot it was. 

Toss all the canned ingredients in your crock pot and judge if you need more liquid or not. (I usually just add a bit more water.) Once the consistency is something you're happy with, add 1/2 of both packets of seasoning. And let it warm through. 


That's really it. It costs maybe $5-6 to make, and it literally lasts forever. My can of diced tomatoes happened to have green chilies in it, which gives it an even spicier kick. You can go this route or avoid them, or even add in diced jalapeno pepper. I always top mine with some shredded Mexican cheese and a dollop of sour cream. It adds the perfect coolness to the dish.


Eat many bowls (no need to feel bad!) and make sure you have some tortilla chips---you'll want to scoop up some of that soup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment