Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

lemon poppy seed muffins

I once said we were a muffin household. I wasn't kidding. Remember those Elvis inspired muffins I made with banana and peanut butter and a touch of chocolate chips here and there? So good. The household favorite is banana, usually with a few chocolate chips. I love all kinds. I especially love lemon poppy seed, but have never made them myself. I gave it a go, and they were good! Perfect for the spring season. 

(And considering today is blue skies, sunshine, and warmth, these muffins were on my mind!)


They were incredibly tasty, with the true, natural lemon flavor really shining through. 

Here's the recipe:

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

What You Need:
2/3 cup sugar
The zest and juice of one lemon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons poppyseeds. 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Fill regular-size muffin tin with paper liners or spray (I did paper liners, but next time I think I'd try spray). 


2. In a large bowl, mix the sugar and the lemon zest with your fingertips. The sugar will become moist and you will really smell the lemon scent after doing this. 



3. Into the sugar mixture, whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

4. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and butter. 

5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together gently. Stir in the poppy seeds. (A spatula worked best from this point out.)




6. Fill the muffin tins almost to their tops. Bake for approximately 18 minutes, but check beginning around 15 minutes. 






7. Let muffins cool for five minutes in the tin, then transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling. 


So tasty. I would either take them out of their liners right away after baking and store them in an airtight container, or I would cook them without liners in a tin that has been sprayed. (My muffins stuck to the liners just a bit.)

These were the perfect morning treat---even perfect as an afternoon snack! Light, moist, and refreshing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment