Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

cowboy cookies (gifts in a jar!)


Delicious, scrumptious, packs perfectly into a jar and into my mouth.

I'm not going to lie though---this is a "stockpile" post. Why do I have a stockpile of posts? Because this has been my life lately:


Painting (boo! I miss my roasted pepper red and cobalt blue walls), packing, cleaning, organizing. And evidently using Girl Scout cookie boxes. Which I actually didn't eat. Except maybe a box. But I digress. 

And trying to do anything "crafty"? Out of the question. Unless you want to deal with this mess:


(I see all my gorgeous projects that were on the walls all laying hopelessly--like my tissue rosette wreath, my personalized canvas, my twine wrapped mason jars, and my spring diy scrap banner.)

I have a pile of projects I want to work on, but this takes priority. Me and the mister are packing up our lives in Michigan and working on making the big move to the Big Apple. It's been a dream of mine (and ours) forever. Now that it's becoming a reality...it's difficult and exciting and stressful and amazing! 

We have a mini anniversary vacation planned to go to Chicago this weekend and right after that we are headed to NYC on an apartment (and job) hunting trip. Good thing I love him and we like adventuring together, because otherwise we'd be miserable in a 12+ hour car ride. 

In any case, don't be offended by the stockpile post on cowboy cookies. They are quite delicious, and kind of perfect for Mother's Day or as a teacher gift as the end of the year approaches. 

Enjoy!

**********

This recipe bounced around online for awhile, and I finally saw it on Pintrest. I saw this recipe last fall, and knew it would be perfect to adapt for the upcoming holidays, and to use as gifts for friends afar.

The recipe itself is fairly easy. The ingredients pack perfectly in a mason jar.

Here's the recipe, and how to assemble it:

Cowboy Cookies (at holiday time, I named them Cookies for Santa, which is how we refer to them)

What You Need:

Dry ingredients:
1 1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup oats
3/4 cup M&M's (being that it was at Christmas, the red and green package were perfect!)
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

Wet ingredients:
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup of butter, slightly melted
1 teaspoon vanilla


Directions for baking:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and use a spatula to combine well. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and roll cookie mixture into small 1-inch balls. Place cookie sheets into your preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes. 

That's it! Simple, and oh so good. 


Directions for gift in a jar version:

You essentially are assembling all the dry ingredients together for someone (or yourself!) in a jar. All they will have to do is add the wet ingredients and bake!

Here are the layers of ingredients, starting from the bottom up:
  • First: flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt
  • Second: oats
  • Third: M&M's--I used a holiday Christmas package because of the season, but any will do
  • Fourth: chocolate chips 
  • Fifth: brown sugar
  • Sixth: white sugar
  • Seventh: toasted, chopped pecans. 


The ingredients fit perfectly in a quart Ball mason jar. I made this for my dear friend in Chicago, and it was the perfect "extra" thing to add to her gift. I used a bit of holiday fabric on the top to finish the look. 

Include a small tag along with the jar so the recipient knows what needs to be added! 

I titled my tag "Cookies for Santa" because of the season, and then the following:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Take all dry ingredients from the jar and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add 1 slightly beaten egg, 1/2 cup of slightly melted butter, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Use a spatula to combine well. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and roll cookie mixture into small 1-inch balls. Place cookie sheets into your preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes. 


That's it! Gifts in a jar is something I never considered before, but these "Cookies for Santa" are divine. Sharing them with others is such an easy and thoughtful treat!

1 comment: