Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

roasted garlic twice baked potatoes

I never had these growing up, but discovered them through recipe searching about a year ago. Needless to say, they have become a favorite.


The recipe is basic, but they are divine. I made a huge batch this past Sunday, enough so we could heat them up for dinners throughout the busy week and even some to freeze for upcoming meals.

Here's the recipe:

Roasted Garlic Twice Baked Potatoes

What You Need:
8 russet potatoes (or other baking potato)
3 cloves of garlic
splash of olive oil
1 cup butter
1 cup bacon
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt
black pepper, to taste
shredded cheddar cheese, for topping (optional)

Directions:
1. Wash your potatoes and give them a good scrub. Poke a few holes in the potatoes before placing them on a cookie sheet so they are ready to go in the oven. If you decide to do the roasted garlic (and I totally recommend that you do) put your whole cloves  with a splash of olive oil on top in tin foil. Close the foil loosely on top, and place the garlic on sheet as well. Put the potatoes and garlic into a 400 degree F oven for one hour. 


2. The smell alone will make your belly rumble, and after and hour, take the potatoes and garlic out. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. 


3. Gather your ingredients to make the filling, and start filling up a bowl. Add the 1 cup butter, 1 cup bacon, and 1 cup sour cream. (See how easy the measurements are? Keep them similar, but adjust them to your own liking, or omit or add whatever ingredients you fancy.)



4. Open that tin foil and pull out the beautiful garlic. The garlic will squeeze so easily out of it's papery shells. Add those to the bowl as well. 


5. Step away from the filling momentarily and get back to those potatoes. Use a dish towel to hold them while you cut and scoop their insides out, as they will be very hot. You can cut the potatoes in two ways: either so you end up with 2 long pieces or 2 short pieces. I traditionally have cut them as they appear on the left (which would be perfect for a party I think), but I decided to give the other way a go too. Make sure once you cut each potato in half to cut the "bottoms" off each piece so they can stand and not wobble over once you fill them up. 


6. Once cut, use a spoon to scoop out all the insides (and add them to your bowl of ingredients), leaving a structured enough shell to fill back up with potato goodness. 


Yum.

7. Now add the 1/4 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned salt, black pepper to taste, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. I used a potato masher this time to combine all the ingredients, but I've also used a hand mixer. Figure what consistency you're going for and run with it. If needed, add a bit of milk to get the right mashed potato consistency. 


8. Once the concoction is all combined, fill your potatoes back up. Mine them to overflow a bit, but that is how I think they should be. I end up using all the shells and all the filling (minus one or two big bites along the way...), but if you don't, no big deal. I placed my potatoes on the same cookie sheet and topped with with a little amount of cheese. This is necessary in my book, but can be skipped. Place them in your 350 degree F oven for approximately 30 minutes. 


The will smell divine, and you will want to eat them right away. At least I did. And with a small dollop of sour cream.



You can't say no to that, can you?

Now I ate some right away, put about half into the fridge for this upcoming week, and half in the freezer for upcoming meals.

To freeze:

I went ahead and cooked them all the way. I pulled the amount of potatoes I wanted to freeze and placed them on plates that I shoved into my freezer. Forget about the potatoes for a couple of hours in order for them to really firm up. After a couple of hours, I took them out and placed them into a resealable ziploc freezer bag.

To reheat: 

Take out the amount of potatoes you want when necessary, and bake them in a 350 degree F oven for approximately 45 minutes, or when the tops begin to get a bit gooey and cheesy again.

I can't wait to enjoy these for awhile, and I think I'm going to have one right now. 

I don't mind that it's not even 11 a.m. yet. They are just that good.


1 comment:

  1. Those look delightful! I'm going to have to try them for me and my husband!

    ReplyDelete