Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

easy cheesy garlic bread

I follow many a frugal blog, and stumbled upon a garlic bread recipe where they were utilizing sale items from a particular grocery store. It looked so good and so easy (original recipe here), so I adapted it a bit myself with what I happened to have.

It was easy, not time consuming at all, and completely flavorful. 


Here's the recipe:

Easy Cheesy Garlic Bread

What You Need:
1 loaf of Italian bread (you could use french bread or another variety as well)
3/4 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup of Italian cheese (you could use mozzarella, parmesean, etc.)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons parsley


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. 
2. Take the Italian loaf and cut in half lengthwise.


3. Take the butter, cheese, garlic powder, and parsley and combine with fork. 


Seriously, yum.


4. Essentially "divide" the mixture into thirds. Take 1/3 of the mixture and slather it on one inside. Take another 1/3 of the mixture and slather it on the other inside. Place the two pieces back together, cut sides facing each other. Take the remaining 1/3 and slather it on top of the loaf. 




*I was going to freeze half my loaf, so I cut the full length of the loaf in half prior to the next step.*

5. Take the loaf and cut the loaf into slices. Do not cut all the way through the bread (this allows the bread loaf to remain virtually in tact, but the pre-cut slices make it nice once the loaf is out of the oven). 


6. Make a foil boat that surrounds the side of the loaf of bread, and place on a cooking sheet. 


7. Bake for approximately 15 minutes in a 375 degree F oven. The top browns, and the cheese/butter/garlic mixtures bakes into the bread. 


This was so good! And took no time at all. 

I did freeze half the bread, as we are just a two person household and I want to maximize whatever we make into lasting. The half of the bread I wanted to freeze I didn't bake. Instead, after cutting the slices I set the half of the loaf on a plate and stuck it in my freezer for a couple hours. This allowed the butter/cheese/garlic mixture to harden. I then wrapped it in foil and placed it in a freezer bag.

If you decide to freeze some of your loaf, or make some to stash away, just thaw the loaf for 4 hours before following the heating instructions above. 

After baking the loaf, I promptly ate a slice. Or three. I'm anxiously anticipating breaking open the half in the freezer soon enough. 


No comments:

Post a Comment