Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

diy spring canvas art

I think spring has sprung. 

More like summer, with these mid-80's temperatures, but I've definitely been ready to decorate with fresh colors for spring. I already made a gorgeous diy spring banner made of scrap fabric that is hanging beautifully over my craft table and I've decorated two small trees with glittered Easter egg ornaments. I needed something more. 


I think I found what I was looking for. Art doesn't have to be hard or expensive. I had bought a 2-pack of 8x10 canvases from Hobby Lobby for $3.99 (likely less with a 40% off coupon) and they were sitting around, waiting for me. 

I searched out ideas that were spring related, and saw many cute ones:



These were both lovely. I had originally seen a canvas featuring an Easter egg made out of buttons that I love (of course I can't find it now). 

I had so many ideas, I didn't know what I wanted. So I dug in my paints to see what spring like colors I had, and picked a green, yellow, and light aqua blue (ignore the ribbon bow--it was going to be incorporated until I decided not to).


I <3 Martha.

This is what I ended up with.


I used a round sponge that came in a basic brush kit to paint the yellow acrylic paint to cover the canvas. I love the texture that came from it. (Seriously, it's amazing.)

I covered the border in the same way with a sponge in the light aqua blue. 

I figured I wanted some text, but didn't know what. "Hello spring" is something I was thinking at the moment, and it stuck. It happened to be short enough letter/word wise that it fit, so I dug out stamps I already had and stamped "hello spring" in green.

And then this magical beauty came to be:


Who knew you could love a little detail so much? The stamp set I was using had flower stamps, and I found one small enough that would work over the "i". I used a beautiful coral color and added an aqua blue rhinestone for the center. 


Love those colors! I was going to add ribbon, or something else, as I wasn't sure if it felt done. After a night to think about it and a chat with my sister, I discovered it was perfect for me. It now it sitting nestled between a couple bronze candle holders on top of a shelf.  


I think I'm in love. With spring. And with my newest spring artwork addition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment